Skip to main content

Full text of "The Heritage Lodge no. 730, A.F. & A.M., G.R.C. : proceedings 2004"

See other formats

A. iff. & A. fU. 2fo. 730 &MM. 


Vol. 27 - 2004 

Institute: ^epUmber 21, 1977 
(HonstihxUb: §>*ptnttbfr 23, 107£ 


Vol.27 - 2004 

JOHN H. HOUGH, Worshipful Master 

Milton, Ontario 


752 Hampton Court, Pickering, Ontario L1 W 3M3 

Phone 905-831-2076 Fax 905-831 -781 5 



20 Fairview Crescent, Woodstock, Ontario N4S 6L1 
Phone 51 9-537-2927 e-mail: 


1037 Patricia St., London, Ontario N6A3V3 • 519-565-2742 


3864 Main St., Jordan, Ontario LOR 1 SO - 905-562-2742 


442 Mill St., Richmond Hill, Ontario L4C 7X5 - 905-508-4644 


Subject Page 

John H. Hough, Worshipful Master 83 

Annual Heritage Banquet Address - 
Can Masons Change? 

By Norman E. Byrne 85 

A Man For The Times 

By Ian A. Brown 97 

James Woods, W.M.,1854 

By John C. D. Bird 107 

William Jarvis - Soldier, Statesman, Freemason 

By Nelson King 113 

Our Departed Brethren 125-126 

The Heritage Lodge Past Masters 127 

Committee Chairmen 128 

The Heritage Lodge Officers 129 

The contributors to these Proceedings are alone 
responsible for the opinions expressed and also 
for the accuracy of the statements made therein, 
and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of 
The Heritage Lodge A.F. & A.M., No. 730 G.R.C. 



■ ■ 

JOHN H. HOUGH, Worshipful Master 

I take this opportunity to express my appreciation to the 
members of The Heritage Lodge for affording me the honour 
and privilege to serve as their Worshipful Master. The Officers 
and Committee Chairmen served their offices with distinction 
and are to be commended for their efforts. 

The Annual Banquet continues to be one of the highlights of 
the year for The Heritage Lodge. I was pleased when M.W.Bro. 
Norman E. Byrne, P.G.M., agreed to be our speaker. His 
presentation titled Can Masons Change? was enjoyed by all. 



The papers presented to The Heritage Lodge were also well 
received. As they are listed in the table of contents I will not 
address them here other than to say that they were interesting 
and timely. 

Brethren of Caledon East and Maple were most gracious 
hosts and their hospitality was greatly appreciated. 

The Interpreters at Black Creek Pioneer Village are being 
recognized around the world and are to be congratulated for 
their time and efforts extended so that the public may have a 
better understanding of our Gentle Craft. The Interpreters have 
been under the direction and guidance of R.W.Bro. Burns 
Anderson, who has given unselfishly and graciously of his time 
on this outstanding project, for the past 1 1 years! Well done! 

The preparations for the 1 50 th Anniversary of Grand Lodge 
in 2005 continue to go forward. I hope that many of you will 
participate and help celebrate this milestone. 

In closing brethren, I again thank you for the honour to serve 
as your Worshipful Master. It has been a most enjoyable year 
and I sincerely hope that it has met with your approval. 

Sincerely and fraternally, 

John H. Hough, Worshipful Master 


Initiated, Cochrane Lodge No. 530 1968 

Worshipful Master, Cochrane Lodge No. 530 1989-90 

Worshipful Master, The Heritage Lodge No. 720 2004 

Grand Lodge of Canada in the Province of Ontario 

Grand Registrar 1992 

Member, Board of General Purposes 1996-2004 



By M.W.Bro. NORMAN E. BYRNE, Past Grand Master 

Grand Lodge of Canada in the Province of Ontario 

Nineteenth Annual Heritage Lodge Banquet 

Friday, January 30, 2004 

First, I thank you for a very kind introduction. If my father 
had been here tonight, he would have wondered who you 
were talking about. My mother — would have just smiled. 

I thank our W.M., for the kind invitation to be here 
tonight, to speak on the occasion of the 1 9 th Annual Black Tie 
Banquet of this unique lodge in Ontario. I follow in the 
footsteps of some very learned and well-informed men who 
have graced this podium before tonight, and I am not sure I 
am quite up to the task laid out before me by you, my 
brethren, but throwing caution to the winds, I will try. 

Some of you may well wonder what kind of question I have 
posed in the title to my address - Can Masons Change? Some 
of you may have come tonight well knowing the obvious 
answer to that question. Some of you, I hope, came here with 
an open mind to see if there really is a positive answer to the 
question. It is to those brethren that I direct my remarks tonight 



and ask the impertinent question Can Masons Change? 

I am sure some of you may have heard the question "how 

many Masons does it take to change a lightbulb?" 

Change?? Surely this question indicates a predisposition of our 
Masonic minds. Tonight, I want to talk about change. Change, 
in course or direction, doesn't always come easy. Let me 
illustrate this by an actual radio conversation between a U.S. 
naval ship and Canadian authorities off the coast of 
Newfoundland in October, 1995. 

The radio conversation went like this: 

Americans: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the 
north to avoid a collision. 

Canadians: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees 
to the south to avoid a collision. 

Americans: This is the captain of a U.S. Navy ship. I say 
again, divert your course. 

Canadians: No, I say again, you divert your course. 

Americans: This is the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Lincoln, the 
second largest ship in the United States Atlantic Fleet. We are 
accompanied by three destroyers, three cruisers, and numerous 
support vessels. I demand that you change your course 15 
degrees north, that is one-five degrees north, or counter- 
measures will be undertaken to ensure the safety of this ship. 

Canadians: This is a lighthouse. Your call. 

Our Masonic craft may also be steaming ahead on a 
collision course unless we are prepared to look at the subtle 
messages that confront us. 

Maybe, just maybe, we too need to change course or 



direction 1 5 degrees. 

The concept of many of the ideas I will talk about tonight 
are the work of an old and trusted friend, R.W.Bro. Allard B. 
Loopstra, a Past Grand Director of Ceremonies who looked 
after my every care during my term as Grand Master, and who 
is currently the Grand Chancellor of our Supreme Council. 
Allard was of great assistance to me in the preparation of my 
remarks and, to him, I give the credit. If there is anything amiss 
with my comments, I accept full responsibility. 

Greatness, in the final analysis, is largely bravery: courage 
in escaping from old ideas and old standards, and respectable 
ways of doing things. 

If you don't dare differ, you will never be great. If you 
don't dare risk, you will never be great. 

In order to succeed today, companies, fraternities and 
individuals need to be courageous. We need to take risks and 
think outside the box. We need to challenge our paradigms or 
our way of perceiving things, and see things from a different 

To think possible, ~ what we currently think, impossible. 

Thirty years ago, who would have accepted the concept of 
a compact oven that could zap your food in a matter of 
seconds. Who would have dreamed that you would be able to 
communicate with people around the world by punching some 
keys on your PC or your palm pilot. Someone did. And that is 
the key to succeeding. 

Many companies have failed, or are failing today, because 
they failed to recognize a fundamental shift in their industry. 

History is littered with shift victims: buggy makers, who 



turned up their noses at Henry Ford's automobile; candle 
makers, who didn't see the lightbulb coming; large photo labs, 
who did not anticipate the arrival of the corner, one-hour photo 
shop and the digital camera; Swiss watchmakers, who would 
not accept a new and simple electronic concept in accurate 
timepieces. The question for Masons is: Is our great Masonic 
fraternity also a shift victim? 

One of North America's most successful companies, 
General Electric, had a rude awakening in the early 80's. 

From 1 879, when Thomas Edison invented the lightbulb, to 
the early 1980's, G.E. Lighting was North America's leading 
lightbulb producer, and was unchallenged in its field. By 1 982, 
overseas competitors had burst onto the scene with low cost, 
high quality lightbulbs. While G.E. built handball courts for its 
employees, and organized company-sponsored dance lessons, 
their competitors abroad, improved the quality and lowered the 
cost of their products. 

By 1982, Philips had gained the leadership position in 
lighting. When market share continued to drop, G.E. Lighting 
turned its focus to lowering costs, creating new markets, 
improving customer service, and improving quality. And it 
worked. By 1990, G.E. once again ranked number one in the 
$9 billion dollar market for lightbulbs. Had they not been 
complacent, they would have seen the competition coming. 

I question whether we, as Masons, have improved our 
quality? Have we developed new markets? 

Have we become so complacent, we didn't see the 
competition coming? 

What are we doing, as Masons, to satisfy the changing 



needs and expectations of our potential members? 

We are an educated and knowledgeable society, which is 
always looking for new and better ways to do things. 

Canada Post is an example of an organization that has seen 
its power base dwindle, as fax machines, couriers, electronic 
mail and computer information technology, have made the 
postman's load a lot lighter. 

Are we, as Masons, also seeing our powerbase dwindle? 

Are we competing for membership, attendance and 

Just look at how our Masonic numbers are decreasing, and 
how the average age of a Mason is increasing. With both these 
factors becoming more and more important in our Masonic 
society, I dare say we are indeed on a collision course. We had 
better change direction while there is still time. 

We all like to talk about how things have changed; how 
difficult it is to get new members; how difficult it is to get good 
attendance. We blame changing society; we blame double 
income families; we blame changing values, and we blame all 
the competing activities for a young man's time. 

But why are we blaming? Why have we not anticipated 
changing times? Why have we not prepared for change through 
innovation? We are we not driving change in our own Masonic 

Once a company or organization has decided that it needs 
to shatter its paradigms, how is it done? What steps can we 
take to change? 

There is no magic formula that guarantees success. 



Three things are not optional however, breaking down 
barriers, empowering your employees or members, and 
encouraging creativity and non-conformity. 

Let's talk about each of these. The first idea I mentioned 
was to break down barriers. What does this mean? 

It means taking out layers in your organization so 
employees can get closer to the customers and to each other. 
Layers act like filters, and by removing unnecessary ones, we 
free up the lines of communication. Masonic organizations tend 
to be multi-levelled and inflexible. We have a very defined 
organization that operates from the top down. We need to 
change that. 

How many times have we stomped all over a young 
Mason's idea, thought, or enthusiasm? In fact, we really don't 
even explore the thoughts of younger members, or try to 
understand what may entice the younger generation to join. 
How many times do we lose the interest and participation of a 
new member? Have we ever made a concerted effort to find 
out why? 

Encourage conversation in your organization. Remember, 
those conversations which might often seem to be wasteful 
complaint sessions, often produce the best ideas for 
improvement or change. Don't kill conversation in your 
company or organization. Encourage it, and encourage your 
members to look for solutions when they are not happy with 
something. When an idea comes up that you are not sure of, try 
it. Create a culture that is not afraid to risk; not afraid to fail, 
and let your members know that, along with this, comes the 
need to take responsibility for both the successes and the 
failures. Mistakes are a fact of life. How we respond to them is 



what counts. 

The last major barrier that comes to mind is our reluctance 
to listen. We all need to really listen to others, and admit that 
our way may not be the only way. Masons have a tendency to 
only listen to the highest ranking member. 

The second idea is empowerment. It's quite a popular 
business term these day, isn't it? What .does it really mean to 
the organization that is trying to break its paradigms and open 
the lines of creativity? First, it means not limiting your 
employees with restrictive job classifications and labels. When 
you limit the scope of an employee's job, you risk limiting the 
scope of their contribution. 

Thirdly, encouraging creativity and non-conformity. 

Encourage members to make decisions, take responsibility 
for their decisions and work with each other to solve problems. 
This is done in the business world through a continuous 
improvement process, a process that sees employees from 
many areas form teams, which create and implement solutions. 
You want to engage every mind in your organization and get 
every person involved. We need a continuous improvement 
program in Masonry. 

We need to encourage, not only the members who fit our 
perceived Masonic image, but also those who don't. They are 
the paradigm shifters, the ones who will force you to look 
outside your box. 

They will make you uncomfortable sometimes. They will 
not always make sense to you, but they are critical. 

The paradigm shifter is someone who throws out the rules 
of the game. Their stories are familiar. Ray Kroc, while trying 



to sell milkshake mixers, revolutionized the way billions of 
people eat, with his McDonalds chain. Fred Smith, told by 
most, that his package delivery idea was silly, changed the way 
the world receives its overnight packages with Fed. Express. 

There are millions of Ray Krocs and Fred Smiths out there. 
There are likely a number of you in this room tonight. The key 
is for organizations to tap into and develop these resources, to 
seek them out, and nurture them, to find the creative, 
somewhat offbeat members, and let them flourish. 

And its not just the responsibility of our Masonic 
organization to develop its paradigm shifters. If you are one of 
those people who don't fit the mould, stick with it. Learn to 
balance your individuality with the greater needs of your team, 
but don't give up your uniqueness. Masonic organizations need 
your uniqueness and your creativity. They need you to rock the 
boat once in a while. After all, if everyone is thinking alike, 
then someone isn't thinking. 

If Henry Ford hadn't kept going in the early days, despite 
ridicule, we would never have seen the Ford automobile. It's 
been much the same with every great person you could name. 
They kept plugging away when everybody said their chances of 
making it, were nil. You just can't beat the person who never 
gives up, so don't give up. 

It appears that Ford lost some of its entrepreneurial spirit 
over time, as evidenced by the loss of a man named Hal 

Sperlich came up with a radical idea while at Ford for a 
vehicle that would be better than the station wagon for family 
use. He tried to sell the idea to his peers at Ford, but the Ford 



company was not interested. Disillusioned, Sperlich left Ford 
after a 20-year career, and moved to Chrysler, where Lee 
Iacoca embraced his idea and developed it. The mini van 
created and cornered a new market that Ford had not 

So what happens when you start thinking outside the box 
and start to break down your paradigms?. What are some of the 
rewards? We have seen a few examples. G.E. Lighting, 
Chrysler's mini van, Fred Smith's Federal Express, and Ray 
Kroc's McDonalds. 

We, as Masons, can take the comfortable route; avoid the 
pain of change and go the way of the buggy whip, or we could 
endure the pain of change and become a truly re-energized, 
dynamic and innovative organization, which meets the needs of 
its diverse customer base ~ its members. 

We can continue to quickly knock down the ideas of our 
members, and put up the barriers through our Board of General 
Purposes and our Management Committee, or we can go to 
our members and listen attentively to their concerns, ideas and 
needs. In fact, we have done this in some of our seminars and 
workshops. We need to encourage this type of action. 

Change is, after all, something that is different; that is 
unfamiliar; that is really not comfortable. 

I well remember when I listened to a good friend and 
brother, R.W.Bro. Kenneth Adamson, a Past District Deputy 
from Hamilton C speak at a consistory luncheon in Hamilton 
several years ago. Ken was speaking about thinking outside the 
box. He asked each of us to write our name on the back of our 
programs. He emphasized that we should write our names, not 



print or letter them, and to do it with the hand we do not use in 
writing. After we had written our names, he then asked for the 
brethren who had difficulty writing their names to indicate by 
raising their hands. Almost everyone at that lunch put up their 
hands. He then asked those did they find this exercise 
uncomfortable, difficult or unnatural We all agreed. Ken then 
told us that this feeling we all felt while writing our names with 
the wrong hand, is exactly the same feeling we will experience 
when we do something different, perhaps for the first time: of 
thinking outside the box. Yes, it's a strange feeling, but it is 
certainly not lethal. Try it yourself ! 

I am sure you have all read or heard about the Grand 
Master's classes in several of our sister Masonic jurisdictions: 
the all the way in one day procedure. Most Masons I know 
who have talked about it, do not like it at all. I am told that it 
just won't work for us. How can you possibly make a man a 
Mason, in just one day? Probably, in that sense of the word, 
you can't, but at least, you can get them in the front door. With 
good planning and interesting presentations, we can probably 
turn that new Mason into a good Mason. 

The brethren, in the Grand Lodge of Ohio, tried it several 
years ago, and the results from everything I've seen and read, 
were nothing short of top notch. Over 7,500 men became 
Masons in one day in Ohio. How many of these brethren will 
be around five years from now remains to be seen, but I'm 
willing to bet that some of them will, and that's a lot better than 

This method has been tried in at least 31 sister Grand 
Lodges in the U.S.A. and one or two in Canada, all with 
varying degrees of success. The brethren in these jurisdictions 



didn't like the falloff in membership numbers, and did 
something about it. 

An American Scottish Riter, 111. Paul M. Bessel, writing in 
Heredom, vol. 9, 2001, a publication of the Scottish Rite 
research society, has reported on some of the results in these 
one-day classes in the District of Columbia based on statistics 
from 1 992 to 2000. There are, as in most things, pros and cons. 
They pose questions and provide some answers. In this 
jurisdiction of the G.L. of D. of C, some Masons joined the 
craft through G.M. classes: some in the traditional method of 
degrees spread over a period of time. He examines the results 
from the statistics he studied with respect to several things: 
retention of membership, number of degrees being performed 
in regular lodges, potential and actual lodge officer material and 
the total number of raisings (both methods). 

All in all, he found very little difference in these questions 
between those who became Masons in the regular traditional 
method and those who became Masons through the one-day 

After reading Bro. Bessel' s thoroughly researched article, 
my opinion was, as was his, that there was really very little 
difference in the results, as it relates to the four questions 
considered, regardless of the method used to become a Mason. 
The real difference is that, at the end of the 1 0-year study, there 
were a lot more Masons in the D. of C. than there would have 
been without the G.M. 's classes. 

I am not advocating all the way in one-day classes or G.M. 
classes here in Ontario. The purpose of this example is to show 
that closed minds, based on years and years of tradition, is not 
necessarily the answer. We must think outside the box. 



My brethren, we should not be afraid to try new methods, 
to do something different or something we haven't done 
before. We should change our outlook, our perceptions and 
our viewpoints without fear of failure. The system we have 
right now doesn't seem to be working. Maybe it's time to try 
something new and different. 

The opportunities are endless when we open up and change 
our way of thinking. I have a strong suspicion that we are just 
out of the starting gate. 

A humorous story I heard the other day probably best 
illustrates what I have been talking about tonight. 

An elderly gentleman had a serious hearing problem for a 
number of years. He went to a doctor who was able to fit him 
with a set of hearing aids that enabled him to hear 1 00 percent. 
The elderly gentleman went back to the doctor in a month, and 
the doctor said: Your hearing is perfect. Your family must be 
pleased that you can hear again. The gentleman replied: Oh, 
I haven't told them yet. I just sit around and listen to the 
conversation. I've changed my will three times. 

Are we listening? Are we absorbing what we hear and see? 

Are we making changes where we need to? That is our 
challenge if we want our Masonic fraternity to survive and 

Thank you my brethren. 


A Man For The Times 

W.Bro. Francis Nealon Leavens 

First W.M. of Peel Lodge No. 468 

By R.W.Bro. Ian A. Brown 

Peel Masonic Temple, Caledon East, Ontario 

Saturday, March 13th, 2004 

The residents of Caledon East and Bolton, Ontario, must 
have been surprised to read in the June 1 904 issue of the 
community newspaper, a fascinating report of the inaugural 
meeting of Peel Masonic Lodge in Caledon East. Fascinating, 
because a century ago little was revealed to the rural public on 
activities within a Lodge. Highlights from the article can set the 
tone for the character of this remarkable man. 

About 50 Masons assembled here on Tuesday evening June 
7 h 1904 and inaugurated a new Lodge of the Order in 
Caledon East. Brethren were present from Orangeville, 
Inglewood, Hamilton, Toronto, Bolton, and other places. True 
Blue Lodge No. 98, of Bolton, to which a large proportion of 
the members of the new Lodge belong, were led by their 
Worshipful Master W.Bro. W.T. Hackett. 

The ceremony of installation, in the absence of the Grand 
Master, was performed by R.W.Bro. J. Edward Francis, 
D.D.G.M. of Toronto District No. 11, assisted by R.W.Bro. R. 
Irvine of Orangeville, P. D.D.G.M. of Wellington District No. 
7. The new Lodge will be known as Peel Lodge, and the 
Worshipful Master is W.Bro. Francis Leavens. A pleasing 
feature of the evening was the presentation to the Lodge of a 
beautiful copy of the Volume of the Sacred Law by R. W.Bro. 



The brethren have leased the upper flat of the Bradley 
Block, and have had it sumptuously furnished for Lodge 
purposes. At the close of the meeting those present repaired to 
the residence of Mrs. Roadhouse where an excellent repast 
had been prepared by the ladies. Ample justice having been 
done to the inner man, a long list of toasts were disposed of 
that of The Grand Lodge of Canada being responded to by 
R. W. Bros. Francis and Irvine. 

Thus closed an event in Masonry in Caledon East which 
will long be remembered by those who had the good fortune to 
be present. 

The article named each of the newly invested officers and 
their positions. This was no speculative insert but rather, an 
account provided by the Editor of The Bolton Enterprise and 
now newly installed Worshipful Master, W.Bro. Leavens. His 
readiness to reach out into the community truly set him apart 
as a man for the times. 

Of course the beginnings of this story go back to July 29 th 
1871 and the birth of Francis Nealon Leavens in Pickering, 
Ontario. Son of Byron Werden Leavens and Harriet Butler, he 
grew up on the family farm off Highway 2 with three brothers 
and two sisters. The homestead today is the residence of an 
antique dealer, but the one-room school he attended has not 
survived the march of time and real estate developers of 
Pickering. At age 14 the young Francis was apprenticed to 
"The Pickering News" and sufficiently mastered his trade 
within four years to consider the owner's suggestion for 
advancement, by working with the owner's business 
acquaintance in Bolton, Ontario. 

Eighteen years of age, in 1889 he moved to Bolton and 
assisted Herbert Bolton, a local lawyer, in the publication of 
The Bolton Enterprise. The paper, just a year old, was faltering 
and the owner in urgent need of technical and editing skills for 
its survival. Boarding at the local Queen's Hotel, within 48 
hours of his arrival Leavens set the current edition of two pages 



by hand. That issue began a 52-year uninterrupted career with 
the paper, until his death in 1941. 

Four years later he purchased the local publication at the 
young age of 22 for the sum of $750. Little is known how this 
transaction was financed but former owner Herbert Bolton, 
being a lawyer and active in municipal affairs, no doubt ensured 
the security for Mr. Leaven's payment commitments could be 
readily monitored. In fact Mr. Bolton had been the Reeve of 
the village for several years and recently been elected Warden 
of Peel County. 

Within five years of settling in the community Frank Nealon 
Leavens married Alberta Catherine Snyder of Nobleton, a 
village five miles to the east. Their two daughters Myra and 
Bessie, and sons Byron and Werden, were born between 1 896 
and 1 904. It was in the latter year the family purchased a home 
in Bolton, immediately north of the downtown four corners. 

Being editor and publisher of The Bolton Enterprise was 
more than a business commitment for Leavens. It was an 
investment requiring prudent management, a service to the 
community that needed nurturing, and a dedication to the 
maxim that has guided The Enterprise. 

A town with a newspaper is a town with a future. The 
better the paper, the brighter the future. 

It was during the First World War that the Enterprise filled 
a unique role in bridging the gap between coverage of political 
events and the experiences of Canadian servicemen. The paper 
printed letters from troops that were released by families for 
publication, and also gaining the most engaging of all war 
correspondents: the servicemen themselves and their personal 
letters. A sure mark of a caring editor and publisher. Frank 
Leavens knowledge was firsthand from his appointment to the 
local tribunal for conscription of men for the Canadian army 
overseas. Family notes reveal a touching account of how the 
war demanded agonizing decisions of loved ones. 

Mr. Leavens eldest son Byron had slipped away from 



school to enlist early in 1917 unbeknownst to his parents. As 
it turned out, he was slightly under age for military duty but his 
father made the heartrending decision not to petition for his 
release because of his own role in sending away into battle the 
sons of other Bolton families. Joining the Peel 240 th Battalion, 
Byron went into the trenches at Belleau Wood in France on 
Christmas Day 1917. 

He was badly wounded on the 13 th of August 1918 and 
spent much time in a British army hospital at Colchester, 
England, until he came home in the spring of 1919. Fifty-nine 
local and surrounding area boys never returned from that 
terrible war. 

A typical letter printed by The Bolton Enterprise was one 
from Signaller Edwin Lome Childs located somewhere in 

Thought I would let you know I am still in the land of the 
living. Have had several close calls but luck has been with me 
so far. The work I do is very dangerous, repairing and keeping 
open the line of communication. As fast as my mate and I 
would fix the lines, Fritz would smash them again and keep us 
busy dodging the shells. 

Have lost two of my chums, Willie Woods and Hubey 
Corless, and I feel the loss of them keenly but you will have the 
satisfaction in knowing they died as heroes. The other day I 
came across Ab Pilon. He is the same old Ab, only he has got 

We were in Belgium for a while and it certainly was some 
place, for there is nothing but desolation and we were glad to 
be back in France again. Nothing is left of Ypres but a rubbish 
heap. The Germans seem strong, but Johnnie Bull with Jack 
Canuck at his side and the hundred thousand of the R.L. 
Borden Battalion that the Union Government will send, will 
make Emperor Willie sit up. 

Wishing all my kind friends in Bolton a very Merry 
Christmas and a Happy New Year. - E. Lome Childs. 



He not only printed but also lived the life of the community. 
In 1 892 on reaching the age of 2 1 , he was initiated into True 
Blue Lodge No. 98 in Bolton and installed as Worshipful 
Master five years later in 1 897. Bro. Leavens served the office 
of Treasurer for 42 years. His abiding interest in the Craft 
stimulated him to head up a petition to Grand Lodge. The 
minute book of True Blue No. 98 also carries the following 
entry of March 4, 1 904: 

That the officers and brethren of True Blue recommend for 
the consideration and approval of the M.W. the Grand Master 
and Grand Lodge of Canada, the petition of the brethren of 
Caledon East for a charter, for a new Masonic Lodge under the 

Early accounts of measures local Masons took to get to the 
only Lodge in the community, True Blue No. 98 in Bolton, 
were described in Settling the Hills, a compilation of historical 
reflections on life in the district. 

Prior to the Caledon East Lodge being started, several of 
the local men were members of True Blue Lodge. They were 
a foreman on the local railway, Caledon East's station master, 
and also the hardware store owner. To get to meetings these 
gentlemen would lift a "hand jigger" onto the HN&W railway 
line and work it to Cardwell Junction, just west of 
Mountainview Road, then transfer it to the TG&B line for the 
remaining distance to Bolton. 

Of course the unit was operated by muscle power and the 
whole procedure reversed for the return trip. Grand Lodge 
dispensation was granted, and Peel Lodge instituted on June 7 th 
1904 in the upper floor of the Bradley Block in Caledon East, 
with W.Bro. Frank Leavens serving as Worshipful Master. 
Two applications for initiation received at that meeting. 

The following year on November 1 th 1 905 the meeting 
room was consecrated and dedicated as Peel Lodge No. 468 
under the direction of the D.D.G.M. of Toronto District No. 
11, R. W.Bro. Edmund Carleton. The D.D.G.M also installed 



W.Bro. Frank Leavens as Worshipful Master, and invested a 
full slate of officers. Fourteen initiations were conducted by 
W.Bro. Leavens during his first two years in office. Distance 
and weather influenced Lodge proceedings as the minute book 
records on February 9 th 1 906, the members passed a motion to 
provide overnight accommodation for the Worshipful Master 
on Lodge nights. 

Forty-six initiations were carried out in the Bradley Block 
and together with affiliations, the membership now exceeded 
the capacity of the premises. The Lodge was driven to 
construct its own building in 1911 on available land on Old 
Church Road beside St. James Anglican Church, within 
walking distance of the original premises. That same year 
Grand Lodge recognized the contribution by our first 
Worshipful Master to the Craft, by appointing him a Grand 

Within 45 years even this new building proved inadequate 
and the current building, on the north side of the road, was 
constructed and dedicated as the new home of Peel Lodge No. 
468 in 1956. Evidence of that first building is there for all to 
see in Caledon East. The Volume of the Sacred Law presented 
to the Lodge at its inaugural meeting remains in use today. 
That original foundation of like-minded men, back in 1 904, was 
well and truly formed by our Charter Members. Yes, Frank 
Leavens was a man for the times. 

Covering the life of a many-faceted man is a formidable 
task. His writing skills always well honed - no more so than a 
report in his newspaper of June 24 th 1 92 1 . The screaming 
headlines were a premonition of today's press: "Sharp Gun 
Battle with Bandits Saves Imperial Bank Cash." Mr. Leavens 
15-year-old son Werden Leavens had a key role in 
apprehending the robbers. 

The C.P.R. station at Cedar Mills was the scene of lively 
action for a few minutes about 10 o'clock on Tuesday 
forenoon. Revolver bullets were flying and excitement ran 



high, all in the process of frustrating the plans of bandits, who 
intended holding-up the Imperial Bank clerks as they 
journeyed from Bolton to the sub-branch at Palgrave. Shortly 
before starting, Mr. War brick the Bank Manager, was notified 
that suspicious characters were loitering near the Cedar Mills 

Two autos were secured and a posse of P. C Bell and one 
other in the first car, while the Bank Manager, an employee, 
and Werden Leavens in the second, set out for the station. 
Finding nobody in the building, the Constable was returning 
to his car when a masked man rose from the bushes about ten 
yards distant. Someone yelled Shoot, and Werden the 1 5- year- 
old opened fire, getting in three or four shots which provoked 
the bandit to run. 

Mr. Warbrick also began to shoot, continuing as the man 
ran up the hill to the south. The bandit, when he had gone a 
few yards, decided to take a hand in the game and opened fire 
with a long-barrelled weapon: the bullets whistling close to the 
heads of the men below him. One of the bullets punctured a 
car tire and this exploded with a bang! In the turmoil, the 
robber escaped. 

Reports of the shooting came to town and scores of men 
took up the hunt without success. Constable Bell did confront 
a stranger who could give no satisfactory answer to the 
Chiefs questions. On being searched, he was relieved of a 
revolver and a number of cartridges. The suspect is now in 
Brampton jail. 

Naturally the affair created intense excitement in the 
district. Constable Bell was unarmed from start to finish of the 
fracas and just how the authorities expect him to cope with 
desperate characters without a weapon is hard to understand! 

A dynamic publisher and active Freemason, Mr. Leavens 
still seized the opportunity to advance the welfare of the 
community. He gave leadership in launching many progressive 
movements, including laying the first cement sidewalks in 



Bolton, the introduction of senior grades in the school, 
construction of highway arteries in the district, and championed 
the by-law that provided for the installation of a waterworks 
system, which remains in use today. His obituary in the 
Enterprise attempted to highlight the public-spirited career of 
this revered citizen. 

Mr. Leavens anticipated the future of hydro electric power 
as a great public ownership endeavour and it was during his 
term as Reeve in 1915 that Bolton became affiliated with the 
Ontario Hydro Electric Commission. He remained connected 
with the Commission and at the time of his death was Chairman 
of Bolton Hydro. 

Coming to the community when the district was emerging 
from almost pioneer conditions, he saw the need for 
improvement in the means of communication in the town. The 
advent of the telephone with its tremendous potential claimed 
his interest, with the result Leavens organized the Bolton 
Telephone Company in 1908. 

In a history compiled by the Leavens family, interesting 
details are revealed of the start-up of this pioneering business: 

The first switchboard for Bolton was installed in the 
Leavens' kitchen and later at the front of the Enterprise office. 
Staff members serviced it during the day while night calls were 
answered by Frank Leavens or family members. The rate per 
annum was twelve dollars. The earliest subscribers were 
McFall's flour mill, W. C. Beamish - butcher, Hodson's 
hardware, T. D. Elliott - hotel keeper, and F. N. Leavens - 
printer and publisher. 

Following the death of his wife Alberta in 1938, Mr. 
Leavens health began to deteriorate. Onset of the Second 
World War enabled The Enterprise again to respond to public 
encouragement and publish family correspondence from 
overseas. His health failing, Frank Leavens passed away at 
home on July 5 th 1 941 . Members of True Blue Lodge and Peel 
Lodge participated in a Masonic Memorial Service and were 



pallbearers at his funeral at Bolton United Church, where he 
had been a loyal member, even from the time as the former 
Methodist Church. He was buried in Laurel Hill Cemetery, 
Bolton, Ontario. 

Sons Byron and Werden Leavens each became Worshipful 
Masters of True Blue Lodge No. 98 in 1926 and 1947 
respectively. Byron served as Postmaster in Bolton, while 
Werden, the sharpshooter, assumed the role of Editor and 
Publisher of The Enterprise on his father's passing. Today a 
granddaughter and grandson reside in Bolton as well as a 
granddaughter in Toronto, whose husband is a Mason. The 
Bolton Enterprise has changed its name to The Caledon 
Enterprise, with a circulation of 15,000 copies each 
Wednesday and Saturday. It is published by Metroland 
Printing, Publishing & Distributing Ltd., a group that publishes 
some 42 small-town papers in Southern Ontario. 

Family notes revere a tribute paid by The Bowmanville 
Statesman on Mr. Leavens death: 

No country editor dies rich in worldly goods; most of them 
spend too much time and energy on civic welfare. Their wealth 
is generally welcomed in the richness of human service and 
with this as a celestial criterion, we should say that Frank 
Leavens died rich indeed. 

Truly he was a man for the times. 




Settling the Hills: The Caledon East and District Historical 


For Those Who Served: Murray Hesp 

Family Papers on Francis Nealon Leavens: Christine Leavens 


The Bolton Enterprise: Peel Heritage Archives 

The Bolton Enterprise: The Bolton Enterprise Library 

The Bowmanville Statesman: Bowmanville Public Library 

The Caledon Enterprise: The Bolton Enterprise Library 

Minute Books of Peel Lodge No. 468 Caledon East 

Minute Books of True Blue Lodge No. 98 Bolton 


James Woods, w.m. 1854 

Vaughan Masonic Lodge No. 54 

By R.W.Bro. Ian A. Brown 

Presented by 

V.W.Bro. John C. D. Bird 

Vaughan Lodge No. 54 G.R.C. 

Saturday, May 8, 2004 

To get the year 1 854 into perspective, one has to remember 
that was some six generations ago. Ontario was still Upper 
Canada and 1 3 years before our Confederation as the Dominion 
of Canada. 1854 was the start of the Crimean War in Europe 
and with Russia cut off from world agriculture markets, local 
wheat prices reached $2.54 a bushel, compared to 320 a decade 
earlier. Businessmen like James Woods were well placed to 
boost the rural economy as farming began to diversify from 
what was often a frugal existence. 

Shortly after the War of 1812, immigrants from Great 
Britain and the United States started arriving in York County 
to occupy former Clergy reserves and other available 
properties. This area had been recently surveyed with various 
townships such as Vaughan, being marked out with 
concessions and sideroads. Those new arrivals who possessed 
agricultural skills obtained land, while others established 




A variety of English, Scottish and Irish settled in the 
community of Rupertsville, so named after a prominent local 
family. Shortly after 1840, this area became known as 
Nobleville, also named after a family called Noble. Nobleville 
was located about four miles west of Richmond Hill and 20 
miles north west of Toronto, formerly the Town of York and 
the site of the Parliament of Upper Canada. 

Beyond the fact that W.Bro. James Woods was born in 
1818, we have practically no knowledge of his early life and 
interests. Mr. and Mrs. James Woods set up a blacksmith shop 
to service the needs of the local farming community. They were 
of Irish stock and Mr. Woods was a member of Masonic Lodge 
No. 798 of the Grand Lodge of Ireland. Several of the new 
arrivals were also members of Masonic Lodges in "The Old 

It was this group who occasionally visited Richmond Lodge 
in Richmond Hill. Having to ride by horseback along the trail 
between these two communities prompted them to consider a 
lodge in Nobleville. Their carefully worded application was sent 
to the Grand Lodge of England, courtesy of the Provincial 
Grand Lodge, but was rejected because of their proximity to 
Richmond Lodge. It was considered to be unnecessary because 
Richmond Lodge was close enough to service Nobleville. The 
authorities in England were not aware that the only road to 
Richmond Hill was several miles south, then east and then 
north. Bro. James Woods, through the advice of members of 
King Solomon Lodge, Toronto, then wrote to the Grand Lodge 
of Ireland explaining the circumstances and solicited their 


JAMES WOODS, W.M., 1854 

In due time, Bro. Woods was informed that proper petition 
would be considered and to forward £7 1 Os to defray the costs 
involved. Subsequently, a warrant was received naming the 
new lodge "Vaughan", although "St. David's" had been 
suggested, and the number would be 236 of the Grand Lodge 
of Ireland. 

Accordingly the members of King Solomon's Lodge were 
invited to come to Nobleville on the recently constructed 
Northern Railroad, to consecrate the new Vaughan Lodge as 
well as install and invest their first officers. This was done on 
September 21, 1854, under the guidance of R.W.Bro. Kivas 
Tulley who was assisted by several members of King Solomon 
Lodge. Incidentally, on this historic occasion, five petitions for 
membership were received. 

Bro. James Woods, having served as Senior Warden at 
Richmond Lodge, was installed as the first Master of Vaughan 
Masonic Lodge No.226, 1.R. 

W.Bro. James Woods headed various committees from 
Vaughan Lodge who were called to consider the establishment 
of an independent Canadian Grand Lodge. The Grand Lodge 
of Ireland did not object to the forming of a local Grand Lodge 
but they offered no direction either. The Provincial Grand 
Lodge, under R.W.Bro. Sir Allan McNab, was unhappy with 
the Grand Lodge of England and declared its independence of 
that body. In the meantime, meetings of the Irish Lodges were 
held at the Clifton House on July 19, 1855, and St. John's 
Lodge, Hamilton on October 10, 1855. 

The delegates endorsed the proposal of a new Canadian 
Grand Lodge with Col. William Mercer Wilson from St. John's 



Lodge No. 1 4 A.F. & A.M. Simcoe, Ontario, as the new Grand 

On November 27, 1 85 5, the first election for new officers of 
Vaughan Lodge was held and W.Bro. James Woods was re- 
elected as Worshipful Master. He was accordingly presented 
with a special apron and a sash as the first Past Master of 
Vaughan Lodge No. 23 6, I.R. All outstanding dues were 
submitted to the Grand Lodge of Ireland, together with the 
original charter and a resolution to affiliate with the new Grand 
Lodge of Canada. 

On November 28, 1 856 W.Bro. James Woods was granted 
special dispensation to once more serve as Master of Vaughan 
Lodge. The new warrant was received on December 1 8, 1 856. 
It was numbered 26 A.F. & A.M. for Vaughan Lodge from the 
Grand Lodge of Canada, in the Province of Ontario. Although 
there were considerable differences disclosed between the new 
Canadian Grand Lodge and the Provincial Grand Lodge, 
eventually agreements were settled satisfactorily. 

The new Grand Lodge was instituted on July 14, 1 858. Sir 
Allan McNab closed the Provincial Grand Lodge permanently 
and William Mercer Wilson became the first Grand Master. 
Again there was more renumbering of Lodges. Port Hope was 
seven years older than Vaughan and thereby retained the 
number 26. Vaughan became No. 54, G.R.C. 

W.Bro. James Woods lived through some very interesting 
Masonic history. He continued his work as a blacksmith and 
repaired buggies, wagons and implements alongside shoeing 
horses. Upon leaving the Master's chair, he acted as Lodge 
Secretary in 1 859 and then took on the job as treasurer until 


JAMES WOODS, W.M., 1854 

In 1 860, the Legislature officially formed the Village of 
Maple and also decreed that currency from that time on would 
be of the decimal system, thereby eliminating the pound sterling 
in Canada. 

In 1872 W.Bro. Peter Patterson presented a gift of table 
service to W.Bro. Woods and his wife for their loyalty and 
faithful devotion to Freemasonry. By 1 894 Bro. James Woods 
was no longer able to attend lodge, he had been a Mason for 
over 50 years, at least 45 years as a Past Master. He attended 
lodge for the last time on July 17, 1894, and died on July 15, 
1 899, at the age of 8 1 . He was unable to attend lodge in 1 897 
when his portrait was unveiled by R. W.Bro. Aubrey White, 
D.D.G.M. It is now prominently displayed, along with that of 
M. W.Bro. Wilson, at Vaughan Lodge, 2142 Major Mackenzie 
Drive in Maple, Ontario. 

The foundation laid by our first Worshipful Master and the 
charter members 1 50 years ago, brought Freemasonry into the 
community and made the Craft an active and visible contributor 
to its success. 

The members recognized in 1 990 that the old Keele Street 
building was no longer meeting their needs. After an interim 
period of sharing the premises of Robertson Lodge No.292 in 
King City, a new Vaughan Lodge Masonic Temple was opened 
on Major Mackenzie Drive, opposite the City of Vaughan 
municipal offices, on June 11, 1996. 

The greatest tribute to W.Bro. James Woods must surely be 
the fact we are celebrating 150 flourishing years of Vaughan 
Lodge No. 54. The members, his successors, continue to foster 
Freemasonry and its compelling influence in their lives and in 
their community. 




September, 2004 
By John F. Sutherland, Editor 

Chairman of the Editorial Board 

The Heritage Lodge has set up guidelines for 
authors of papers to be presented in Open Lodge— or 
those that are approved by the Editorial Board. Under 
normal circumstances the Editorial Board would be 
given ample time to deal with a paper and any reviews 
accompanying it. The September presentation is the 
most critical with regards to time remaining, before the 
Proceedings go to the printer. 

Recently that time period has become shorter and 
shorter. The presentation given in Open Lodge on 
September 15, 2004, cannot be printed this year 
because of the limited time for the Editorial Board to 
deal with the paper and its reviews. Such a decision is 
in the hands of the Editor in conjunction with the 
Editorial Board. 

A paper by Nelson King, entitled William Jarvis, 
Soldier, Statesman, Freemason, has been submitted to 
replace the paper which was presented in Lodge on 
September 15. 


Soldier, Statesman, Freemason 

By W.Bro. Nelson King 
Editor, Philalethes Magazine 

Having researched and written John Graves Simcoe, Soldier, 
Statesman and Freemason [ VoicePrint, The National Broadcast 
Reading Service Inc., an international broadcasting reading 
service for the visually impaired broadcasts it every Simcoe day] 
it seemed a natural progression to continue with a man who not 
only served under Simcoe in The Queen's Rangers [1st 
American Regiment] but who also served Governor Simcoe as 
Secretary and Registrar of the Records of the Province of Upper 
Canada, and was the first Provincial Grand Master of Masons of 
Upper Canada, William Jarvis. 

Early in the seventeenth century, the Jarvis family 
immigrated to North America and settled in Norwalk, 
Connecticut. In 1 760 Samuel Jarvis was appointed town clerk 
of Stamford, Connecticut [a position he held until 1775, when 
he was forced out of office due to his loyalty to the Crown]. 
Samuel Jarvis married Martha Seymour, and they had 11 
children. William was their eighth child and was born September 
11, 1756. 

Samuel Jarvis was affluent enough to send his son William 
to England to be educated, and here Jarvis was educated, both 
in civil and military matters. He returned to North America and, 
at the outbreak of the American Revolutionary War, enlisted in 
The Queen's Rangers 1st American Regiment under the 
Command of Major-Commandant John Graves Simcoe. He was 
1 9 years of age and commissioned an Ensign or Cornet. 

In October 1 78 1 he was wounded at the Battle of Yorktown 
and the following year he was promoted to the rank of Colonel. 
When the American Revolutionary War ended in 1783, Jarvis 



resigned his commission in The Queen's Rangers and returned 
to his father's home in Stamford. As feelings against the 
Loyalists in Connecticut ran high, he left his home in Stamford 
and returned to England where he had been educated and where 
he would make his new home. 

On December 12, 1785, he married Hannah Owen Peters, 
the daughter of Reverend Samuel Peters D.D., of Hebron, 
Connecticut. The ceremony took place in the fashionable St. 
George's Anglican Church, in Hanover Square, London. The 
bride was 23 years of age. William and Hannah were eventually 
blessed with seven children, three boys and four girls. The eldest 
son Samuel Peters, died at the age of five. A few weeks later, a 
second son was born who was also named Samuel Peters. It is 
interesting to note that their eldest daughter, Marie Lavinia, 
married George Hamilton, son of the Honourable Robert 
Hamilton, one of the first members of the Legislative Council of 
Upper Canada, and whom the City of Hamilton was named. 

William was commissioned in 1 789 as a Lieutenant in the 
Western Regiment of Militia in Middlesex, England, and on 
January 1 , 1 79 1 , was promoted to the rank of Captain. It is at 
this period of his life that we first find the Masonic connection. 
He was made a Mason on February 7, 1 792. The minutes of the 
Grand Master's Lodge held at London, gave the following 

"William Jarvis, Esq. Captain in the West Middlesex Militia 
[late Cornet in the Queen's Rangers' Dragoons] was initiated 
in the Grand Master's Lodge on 7th February, 1792. 

"The Grand Officers present were: 
His Grace, the Duke of Athol. Grand Master in the chair. 
R.W. James Agar, Esq., D.G.M. 
R.W. William Dickey, Esq., P.S.G.W. as S.W. 
R.W. James Jones, Esq., P.G.G.W. as J.W. 
R.W. Thomas Harper, Esq., P.S.G.W. as S.D. 
R.W. Robert Leslie, Esq. G. Sec. as J.D. 
R.W. John Bunn, Esq., S.G.W. and many other members." 


WILLIAM JAR VIS - Soldier, Statesman, Freemason 

William Jarvis was appointed the Provincial Grand Master 
of Masons in Upper Canada by the Duke of Athol, the M.W. 
Grand Master of the third Grand Lodge of England, on the 7th 
of March 1792, this was exactly one month after his Initiation 
into Masonry. The following minutes of Grand Master's Lodge 
read: "At the Grand Lodge, Crown and Anchor, in the Strand, 
the 7th day of March, 1792. 

"Present The Rt. W. James Agar, Deputy Grand Master, 
The Rt.W. Thomas Harper, Past Senior Grand Warden, 
The Rt.W. Mr. Robert Leslie, Grand Secretary, 
The Rt.W. Mr. John Feakins, Grand Treasurer. 
The W., The Masters, Past Masters and Wardens of Warranted 
Lodges." "It was moved and seconded that our R.W.Brother 
Alexander Wilson, of Lower Canada be appointed, under the 
sanction of the Rt.W. Grand Lodge. Substitute Grand Master 
for the said Province of Lower Canada. Ordered upon like 
motion that our Rt.W. Brother William Jarvys, [sic] Esq. soon 
about to depart for Upper Canada be invested with a like 
appointment for the Province of Upper Canada." 

One month later we find the following in the books of the 
Grand Chapter register of the Ancient Grand Chapter: "1792, 
April 4th, Jarvis, William, G.M.L..-240 certified." 

This shows that William Jarvis, a member of the Grand 
Master's Lodge, was admitted to the Royal Arch in the Lodge 
No. 240 and that he received a Royal Arch certificate. On the 
9th of July of the same year he was appointed as "Secretary and 
Registrar of the Records of the Province of Upper Canada." 
William, Hannah and their three children, sailed from Gravesend 
in May of 1792. Jarvis wrote the following to his brother 
Munson who resided in St. John, New Brunswick. 

"March 28th, A.D. 1792. I am in possession of the sign 
manual from His Majesty, constituting me Secretary and 
Registrar of the Province of Upper Canada with the power of 
appointing my Deputies, and in every other respect a very full 



"I am also very much flattered to be enabled to inform you 
that the Grand Lodge of England have within these very few 
days appointed Prince Edward, who is now in Canada, Grand 
Master of Ancient Masons in Lower Canada, and William Jarvis, 
Secretary and Registrar of Upper Canada, a Grand Master of 
Ancient Masons in that Province. However trivial it may appear 
to you, who are not a Mason, yet I assure you that it is one of 
the most honourable appointments that they could have 
conferred. The Duke of Athol is the Grand Master of Ancient 
Masons in England. I am ordered my passage on board the 
transport with the Regiment, and to do duty without pay for the 
passage only. This letter goes to Halifax by favour of an intimate 
friend of Mr. Peters, Governor Wentworth, who goes out to 
take possession of his government. The ship I am allotted to is 
the Henniker, Captain Winter, a transport with Q'ns Rangers on 

They arrived at Quebec on June 11, 1792, and R.W.Bro. 
Jarvis was officially presented to H.R.H. Prince Edward, the 
Provincial Grand Master of Lower Canada, as Provincial Grand 
Master of Upper Canada. Jarvis and his family proceeded 
westward and briefly stopped in Montreal before going on to 
Kingston, where on the 8th of July, Lieutenant-Governor 
Simcoe had been sworn into office by Chief Justice William 
Osgoode. Our new Provincial Secretary and the official staff left 
Kingston on September 11th, and proceed on to Newark 
[Niagara-on-the-Lake] where the first session of the Legislature 
was opened on September 1 7 lh . 

However Mrs. Jarvis and their three children remained in 
Kingston until a home could be prepared for them. They were 
not left behind for a long time because on October 1 7th Mrs. 
Jarvis wrote to her father the Reverend Samuel Peters, D.D. He 
had just recently moved to Vermont were he had been elected 
a bishop. She wrote: 

"Mr. Jarvis was obliged to buy a house [as the Governor 
would not quit Niagara] and pay £140 for it, to which he has 


WILLIAM JARVIS - Soldier, Statesman, Freemason 

added three rooms of logs, that we shall be able to get into in 
the course of a fortnight or three weeks. He could hire but at the 
expense of £40 per year for three rooms and a cock-loft for 
which reason he thought it more advisable to what he has done. 
The £40 was in the edge of the woods two miles from any house 
and of course from any market and without any conveniences 
belonging to it." In the same letter she writes: "Labour is so 
immensely dear, a dollar and a half a day is the usual price for a 
man, or if you have him by the month eight dollars and find him 
with victuals. A woman servant the lowest is 2/4 dollars per 
month from that to 12 dollars. I have two girls to whom I give 
seven dollars a month." 

The first record we have of Brother Jarvis as Provincial 
Grand Master is in a letter written January 13, 1793, again by 
Hannah Jarvis to her father. She wrote: "The 27th December, 
the Grand Master was installed in great form, a procession of all 
the fraternity called with music playing etc., Mr. Addison, Grand 
Chaplain, a young brother, made that morning, read prayers and 
preached a sermon, after which there was a dinner." 

Records of Niagara Lodge No. 2 G.R.C. would suggest that 
this affair took place at Freemason's Hall Niagara. It was not 
until four years later [April 6, 1 796] that Bro. Jarvis warranted 
his own Lodge, called The Grand Master's Lodge No. 1. 
However he had previously granted warrants [although he was 
not authorized to do so] for Niagara Lodge No. 2 and Lodge 
No. 3 The Queen's Rangers, 1st American Regiment. 

Lodge No. 3 held their meetings at Butler's Barracks, in 
Newark [Niagara]. This warrant was a travelling warrant, and 
was transferred to York, with the Queen's Rangers, where they 
held their meetings at what is now Fort York. It is said 
Lieutenant Governor Simcoe did not look with unfriendly eyes 
on the meeting of Craftsmen that took place month after month 
in his regiment, although he could not himself attend the 
meetings, as he was a member of the Moderns Grand Lodge, 
and Lodge No. 3, Queens Rangers was warranted by Jarvis as 



Provincial Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of England 
[Ancients] and the two Grand Lodges were not in amity. 

The previous paper [John Graves Simcoe. Soldier, 
Statesman, Freemason] informed us that this is where the 
Toronto Historical Board recently unearthed fragments of clay 
tobacco pipe bowls; this is not in itself unusual, but these 
fragments are fragments of clay tobacco pipe bowls with 
Masonic designs. On the left side of the bowl there are the 
Square and Compasses, five-pointed stars, a pentagram, and 
laurel leaves or acacia leaves. On the other side of the bowl is a 
standing bird with either one or two wings outstretched. 

(During an archeological dig at Fort York, Masonic pipe bowl 
fragments were found. I have been fortunate to be able to acquire 
two complete bowls identical to those found at Fort York.) 


WILLIAM JARVIS - Soldier, Statesman, Freemason 

We know that William Jarvis spent the winter of 1 793 in 
Toronto but left his family in Niagara. He wrote to his 
father-in-law on November 22, 1793; in part of his letter he 
stated the following: "I shall leave my family well provided for. 
I have a yoke of fatted oxen to come down, 1 2 small shoats to 
put into a barrel occasionally which I expect will weigh from 40 
to 60 lbs., about 60 head of dung-hill fowl, 16 fine turkeys and 
a dozen ducks, 2 breeding cows, a milch cow which had a calf 
in August, which of course will be able, to afford her mistress a 
good supply of milk through the winter. In the root house I have 
400 good head of cabbage, and about 60 bushels of potatoes 
and a sufficiency of excellent turnips. 

"My cellar is stored with three barrels of wine, 2 of cider, 2 
of apples and a good stock of butter. My cock-loft contains 
some of the finest maple sugar I ever beheld. We have 1 50 lbs. 
of it. Also plenty of good flour, cheese, coffee, loaf sugar, etc. 
Thus you see, I shall have the best of companions abundantly 
supplied with every comfort in the wilderness." 

While in Toronto, Secretary Jarvis selected and obtained the 
park lot at the southeast corner of Duke and Sherbourne Streets 
[between King and Queen Streets]. He was also granted one 
hundred acres at No. 2 first concession. The Upper Canada 
Land Book B, dated 19th August, 1796 to 7th April, 1797 
registers the following: "The petition of Wm. Jarvis, Esq., 4th 
October 1 796, on a motion by the Administrator of the Province 
[Hon. Peter Russell] to extend His Majesty's bounty in lands to 
Mrs. Jarvis, the daughter of the Rev. Mr. Peters, a respectable 
and suffering loyalist, and her four children. Ordered that 1 ,200 
acres of land be granted to Mrs. Hannah Jarvis, and 400 acres 
each to Maria Lavinia Jarvis, Augusta Holorina Jarvis, Wm. 
Monson [sic] Jarvis, and Samuel Peters Jarvis." 

These lands were located a little farther to the north on what 
is now Yonge Street. But it was at the corner of Duke and 
Sherbourne Streets he eventually had his house built, which, as 
Brethren of Toronto will know, is not far from present-day 



Jarvis Street. The house was built of logs, cut and hewn from 
the property and finished with clapboard. It was two and a half 
storeys in height, and faced on to Sherbourne Street. A long 
extension ran east along Duke Street, but there was no entrance 
to the house from that side. Farther along was a fence with a 
high peaked gate that opened onto Duke Street. On this large 
lot, several barns were built as were outbuildings and a root 

At the time of its erection this house was probably the 
largest and best building in the town of York. Here Bro. Jarvis 
had his offices. 

The Jarvis family were among the earliest supporters of St. 
James Anglican Church [St. James Cathedral, King and Church 
Streets]. The Archives of The Anglican Diocese of Toronto 
record that William Jarvis and four other settlers became pew 
holders, paying rent four times a year to the parish. One of the 
pew holders was Allan McNabb [sic] Esq. who had served with 
Simcoe and Jarvis in the Queen's Rangers and was the father of 
Sir Alan Napier MacNab a noted Canadian Statesman and 

You may be surprised to learn that William Jarvis was a 
slave holder. We know this because court records show that he 
complained that two of his slaves, a small Negro boy and girl 
had stolen gold and silver from his desk and escaped. The 
accused were eventually caught and the boy, named Henry, was 
sent to prison and girl was returned to her master. 

It is certain that Bro. Jarvis did not assert his authority as 
Provincial Grand Master. He did not have a significant 
knowledge of the duties he was called on to perform. He 
therefore relied on others to guide him. One of these was 
Christopher Danby, who had delivered the official warrant to 
Jarvis and was a member of the Grand Master's Lodge of 
London. Brother Danby was clever, well read and an expert in 
Craft jurisprudence and would be eventually elected Grand 


WILLIAM JARVIS - Soldier, Statesman, Freemason 

As Provincial Grand Master, William Jarvis waited three 
years before he formally organized the Provincial Grand Lodge. 
Notices of the first meeting of the Provincial Grand Lodge were 
distributed in 1795. The notice addressed to Lodge No. 6 at 
Kingston read as follows: "To the Worshipful Master and good 
brethren of Lodge No. 6, it is the will and pleasure of the 
R.W.P.G. Master, William Jarvis, Esq., that I inform you that 
Wednesday, the 26th day of August, next, at Newark, is the 
time and place appointed on which the representatives of the 
several lodges in the province are to assemble and form a 
committee for the purpose of electing the officers to compose 
the Provincial Grand Lodge, at which time and place you are 
desired to attend. Fail not. By order of the R.W. Grand Master. 

July Anno Domini, 1795, Anno Sap. 5795 

[Signed] D. Phelps, G. Sec, Pro. Tern." 

At this meeting, five Lodges were represented, and the 
following slate of Officers were elected, installed and invested: 
R.W. Bro. William Jarvis Provincial Grand Master and Master 
W.Bro. Robert Hamilton Provincial Deputy Grand Master 
Bro. John Butler Senior Grand Warden 
Bro. William Mackey Junior Grand Warden 
Bro. Davenport Phelps Grand Secretary 
Bro. Christopher Danby Grand Treasurer 
Bro. Robert Addison Grand Chaplain 

From 1 794 to 1 797 the provincial government slowly moved 
from Niagara to Toronto. And in 1 797 the Jarvis family moved 
into their new home and all ties with Niagara area were severed. 
Bro. Jarvis even took the Warrant and Jewels of The Provincial 
Grand Lodge with him. However the Brethren of Niagara 
carried on the activities of Grand Lodge as best they could and 
for the next few years they continued to respect Jarvis as their 
Grand Master and all official papers were sent to him for his 

Early in 1 801 the Brethren at Niagara and in other parts of 
Upper Canada became disenchanted with Jarvis as Provincial 



Grand Master. And on December 1 9, 1 801 , the following letter 
was sent to the Provincial Grand Master: "Niagara, 19th Dec. 
1801. R.Wor. W. Jarvis. Sir and Brother. At a special meeting 
of Grand Lodge, held by adjournment on the 14th inst, I was 
ordered to acquaint you with the nomination of George Forsyth 
Esq., to the office of Grand Master in case of your non- 
attendance on the 28th inst. S. Tiffany, Grand Secy." 

Not all the Lodges in Upper Canada agreed with the actions 
of the Brethren at Niagara, and immediately a rift arose, as many 
of the Lodges in the eastern part of the province remained loyal 
to Jarvis. But the Niagara Brethren were determined to infuse 
new life into the Craft even if it meant forming a new Grand 
Lodge. Despite the letter of December 1801, no action was 
taken for a year. When Jarvis made no attempt to heal the rift, 
another meeting was called in January 1803, and George 
Forsyth was elected to replace him. Even Christopher Danby, 
who for years was Jarvis' adviser turned against his former 
friend and led the revolt against him. 

The Grand Lodge of England was dismayed with the lack of 
proper procedure because their records show that the Grand 
Secretary tried time and again to get proper reports from Upper 
Canada. In 1 803 the following memorandum was sent by the 
Grand Secretary in England to the Provincial Grand Master of 
Upper Canada: "Memorandum of Notice. 1st June, 1803. We 
have not rec'd any return from you agreeable to the Tenor or 
purport of our Warrant entrusted to your Honour and granted 
in London some years since - the R. W. Grand Lodge in London 
hopes and trusts you will speedily comply in this request and 
cause the proper return to be made record according to 
regulation: in the Books of Grand Lodge in London." 

The Provincial Grand Master at last took action. In a 
summons dated October 2, 1 803, and sent over the signature of 
Jermyn Patrick of Kingston, the Lodges were requested to send 
delegates to a Grand Lodge session at Toronto on February 1 0, 
1 804. Most of the Lodges responded, but the Niagara Brethren 


WILLIAM JARVIS - Soldier, Statesman, Freemason 

did not. Soon the Grand Secretaries of both factions were 
sending letters to the Grand Lodge in London. Nothing however 
was resolved. 

The War of 1812 brought all Masonic matters to a virtual 
standstill. When William Jarvis died on August 1 3, 1 8 1 7, the rift 
was still not healed. 

Jarvis was buried with full Masonic honours in the 
churchyard attached to St. James. It was a large funeral, with 
respects paid to Jarvis not only as Secretary and Registrar of the 
Records of the Province of Upper Canada, but as Provincial 
Grand Master of Masons of the Province of Upper Canada. The 
entire expense of the burial was paid by contributions from all 
the Lodges in the jurisdiction. 

Thus ended the life of our First Provincial Grand Master, a 
Soldier, Statesman, and Freemason. 



He him ken notified of k following memkrs of 

Who havi! Passed to k Grand Lodge Mm 
(since previous publication of names of our deceased) 


Richmond Hill 

Lodge of Fellowship No. 702 

December 15, 2003 



St. Aidan's Lodge No. 567, Scarborough 

January 18, 2004 


Westmount Lodge No. 671, Hamilton 

May 10, 2004 


Patterson Grey Lodge No. 265. Thornhill 

August 30, 2004 



St. Andrew's Lodge No. 642, Windsor 

March 18,2004 

We fjive thanks for the prmfye oj 'knowing than 



He km been notified of the following members of 


Who have Passed to the Grand Lodge Above 

(since previous publication of names of our deceased) 



Delta Lodge No. 634, Toronto 

April 19, 2004 



Spry Lodge No. 385, Beeton 
December 19, 2003 



The Mount Moriah Lodge No. 727, Brampton 

October 1 , 2003 



Waterloo Lodge No. 539, Waterloo 

April 9, 2003 

We $ve thanks for the privilege of knowing them 




1978 Jacob Pos 

1979 K. Flynn* 

1980 Donald G. S. Grinton 

1981 Ronald E. Groshaw 

1982 George E. Zwicker f 

1983 Balfour LeGresley 

1984 David C. Bradley 

1985 C. Edwin Drew 

1986 Robert S. Throop 

1987 Albert A. Barker 

1988 Edsel C. Steen t 

1989 Edmund V. Ralph 

1990 Donald B. Kaufman 

1991 Wilfred T. Greenhough f 

1992 Frank G. Dunn 

1993 Stephen H. Maizels 

1994 David G. Fletcher 

1995 Kenneth L. Whiting 

1996 Larry J. Hostine 

1997 George A. Napper 

1998 Gordon L. Finbow 

1999 P. Raymond Borland 

2000 Donald L. Cosens 

2001 William C. Thompson 

2002 Donald A. Campbell 

2003 Carl M. Miller 

* Demitted t Deceased 


3ttsttiiiM>: Sfptrmbfr 21', 1077 
(Constttutfb: ^itmbtr E3, 107H 


Chips Editor / Marketing Edmund V. Ralph, Don Mills 

Editorial Board John F. Sutherland, Woodstock 

Educational Program Planning Donald B. Kaufman, Kitchener 

W. J. Dunlop Award R. Cerwyn Davies, Scarborough 

Finance Raymond Bush, Burlington 

Black Creek Masonic Heritage E. J. Burns Anderson, Toronto 
Masonic Heritage Corporation .... Robert S. Throop, Oshawa 


Western Ontario Districts Roger J. Gindon, London 

Central Ontario Districts Glenn H. Gilpin, Creemore 

Prince Edward / Frontenac / St. Lawrence Kenneth E. Campbell, Milford 

Ontario / Peterborough / Victoria Donald E. Senate, Bridgenorth 

Toronto Districts John P. McLaughlin, Toronto 

Niagara / Hamilton Districts E. Warren Lay, Beamsville 

Ottawa / Eastern Districts Noel Gondek, Ottawa 

Northern Ontario Districts Alex Gray, Sudbury 



Worshipful Master John H. Hough 905-875-4433 

Milton, Ontario 

Immediate Past Master Carl M. Miller 905-728-8638 

Oshawa, Ontario 

Senior Warden Ebrahim Washington 416-281-3464 

Scarborough, Ontario 

Junior Warden Victor V. Cormack 705-789-4187 

Huntsville, Ontario 

Chaplain R. Cerwyn Davies 416-267-1967 

Toronto, Ontario 

Treasurer Thomas W. Hogeboom 613-354-3593 

Napanee, Ontario 

Secretary Samuel Forsythe 905-831-2076 

Pickering, Ontario 

Assistant Secretary Stanley A. Poon 416-491-0106 

North York, Ontario 

Senior Deacon Peter F. Irwin 905-885-2018 

Port Hope, Ontario 

Junior Deacon Raymond S. J. Daniels 519-578-3815 

Kitchener, Ontario 

Director of Ceremonies Donald A. Campbell 905-471-8641 

Markham, Ontario 

Inner Guard Brian E. Bond 905-797-3266 

Campbellcroft, Ontario 

Senior Steward Michael Ikonomidis 905-668-9930 

Whitby, Ontario 

Junior Steward Kenneth D. Fralick 905-666-3954 

Whitby, Ontario 

Organist Emeritus Donald E. Schatz 705-292-7414 

Bridgenorth, Ontario 

Organist Murray S. Black 416-481-3186 

Toronto, Ontario 

Historian Brian W. King 905-257-0449 

Oakville, Ontario 

Tyler J. David Bell 705-523-1760 

Sudbury, Ontario 

Auditor Ronald T. Stinson, Brantford, Ontario 

Auditor Gordon L. Finbow, Huntsville, Ontario 


If Undelivered, Please Return 

752 Hampton Court 
Pickering, Ontario